Summafieldazye is approaching! The Gold Coast will be smashed by some amazing acts including Boys Noize & Justice but we feel there are a couple of guys that may steal the show, Plump Dj’s! Before they come down under for Summafieldayze we had to ask them a few questions to see what were in for!
1. So, your are coming back down under for Summafieldayze 2011, What can we expect from the Plump Dj’s?
WE ARE PUSHING THE 4 DECK SHOW TO THE MAX AND CHAMPIONING MUCH NEW MUSIC FROM OUR GRAND HOTEL RECORDS, THAT WE HAVE BEEN INVOLVED IN SETTING UP IN THE UK. THERE IS SO MUCH GOOD NEW MUSIC OUT THERE AT THE MOMENT, WE HAVE BEEN ENJOYING OUR GIGS IN THE USA, CANADA AND EUROPE LATELY. OUR SETS ARE STYLISTICALLY BROADER THAN THEY USED TO BE TAKING ON TECHNO, ELECTRO AND B-MORE AS WELL AS TECH BREAKS. NOW THAT WE ARE BOTH MIXING SIMULTANEOUSLY YOU CAN EXPECT TWICE THE ENERGY AND DOUBLE THE TROUBLE.
2. Tell us about how you guys met and got into the DJ scene?
WE MET THROUGH OUR MUTUAL FRIEND MATT CANTOR FROM THE FREESTYLERS IN 1992. WE WERE AT UNIVERSITY AND GOING TO RAVES EVERY WEEKEND. WE ALL FELL IN LOVE WITH DANCE MUSIC AND THE REST IS NOW HAPPY HISTORY. WE ALL STILL HANG OUT IN LONDON AND ARE BEST FRIENDS OFF THE PITCH. VERY LUCKY LADS INDEED.
3. You were one of the pioneers of Breakbeats, What was the influence behind tackling other genres such Electro & House?
AFTER ENJOYING THE EARLY HIP HOP OF THE 80’S WE GOT INTO RAVE AND HOUSE MUSIC IN THE 90’S. IT WAS OUR LOVE OF THOSE EARLY HIP HOP BEATS AND FUNK BREAKS, FUSED WITH THE HOUSE AND RAVE OF THE 9O’S THAT LEAD US TO EXPERIMENTING WITH BREAKBEAT AND NEW SKOOL BREAKS IN 97. THAT LOVE OF HOUSE AND RAVE RUNS DEEP IN OUR SOULS AND HISTORY. IT WAS NATURAL FOR US TO INVESTIGATE AT SOME POINT IN OUR DEVELOPING CAREERS AS MUSIC PRODUCERS.
4. You guys have done remixes this year for Deadmau5, Dave Spoon & Stanton Warriors, What is coming up next for Plump Dj’s, any originals in the works, an album?
WE ARE CONCENTRATING ON DEVELOPING GRAND HOTEL RECORDS, AS A PLATFORM TO SHOWCASE THE MUSIC OF NEW ARTISTES AND THE RESULTS OF OUR CONTINUING EXPERIMENTS ELECTRONIC DANCE MUSIC. WE ARE ALSO STARTING OUR OWN CLUB NIGHT IN LONDON. WE WILL BE BACK ON THE REMIX TIP THIS AUTUMN AND WILL BRING A NEW BODY OF MUSIC TO THE TABLE IN 2011. WE HAVE AN EXCLUSIVE JJJ MIX PLANNED FOR WHEN WE COME OVER TO YOUR MAGIC SHORES AGAIN THIS XMAS.
5. Since 2000 your schedules have sent you all around the world, have you ever had enough time to take it all in or do the years just fly by?
WE HAVE NEVER TAKEN EVERY GIG THAT COMES OUR WAY, INSTEAD WE HAVE CHOSEN WISELY AND TRIED TO GET THE MOST OUR OF OUR TRAVELS CULTURALLY AND ARTISTICALLY. THE PROBLEM WITH WORKING TO A DIARY IS YOU ARE ALWAYS LOOKING FORWARD AND AS FERRIS BEWLER SAID ‘LIFE MOVES PRETTY FAST, IF YOU DON’T STOP TO LOOK AROUND OCCASIONALLY ..YOU MAY MISS IT!’ NATURALLY FOR EVERY EXPERIENCE WE HAVE, WE MISS OUT ON ANOTHER, BUT WE HAVE HAD AN AMAZING JOURNEY TO THIS POINT.
6. When your down in Australia early next year, are you guys getting up to anything other than playing?
YES WE ARE CELEBRATING 10 YEARS OF BREAKFEST IN PERTH AND MEETING UP WITH OUR PALS THERE AT VILLA AND AMBAR. WE HOPE TO HANG OUT WITH THE FUZZY CREW IN SYDNEY AND WE HAVE A WEEK IN BYRON TO RELAX WITH SOME PALS THAT ARE TRAVELING OVER WITH US AND SOME YE OLDE OZZY MATES. HAPPY DAYS.
7. Is there any Australian artists you would love to work with at the moment?
LOOPS OF FURY
8. As i said before, you guys have pretty much toured everywhere! Is their a favourite destination and is there a funny moment you would like to share?
THERE ARE TOO MANY BUT YOU REALLY NEEDED TO BE THERE AT THE TIME.
9. Finally, before we see you guys in January, any words for the people of Brisbane/Goldcoast?